Re: Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

Mike Tate

DO NOT USE the ‘Find and Replace’ command to modify Place fields. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I have lost count of how many time I have given that warning.

Don’t come asking me to fix the resulting multiple Place records.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Wilkinson
Sent: 24 January 2021 09:58
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

Just a thought, have you tried using the Find and Replace option under the Edit menu, you can limit changes to just Places, or Addresses as you wish. I have successfully used this many times as well as the Search and Replace plugin. You would need to be careful if a place refers to more than one location though, i.e. Amsterdam and New Amsterdam. Just make a back up first though just in case and inspect the results output.

David Wilkinson

On 24/01/2021 08:16, UK kris wrote:

Thanks for that Victor,

When I started FH the vast majority of the family was based in Norfolk, and I thought “I know where Norfolk is”.  As time went on I found “foreigners”, and thought I know where Amsterdam is, etc., etc.,

It was only upgrading to 7 that I thought I really should tidy all the Addresses, Places and get consistency.  Hence my thinking “Oh, that plugin will do it easy.” Not so easy when I started looking at how many times I’ve changed adding in commas for blanks etc., ……

I saw Working with Places and Addresses for New Users and realised it’s a major revamp but as I am being asked by family  members for info I want to spend the time getting everything neat and tidy.

Kristeen

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Markham via groups.io
Sent: 24 January 2021 15:57
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

You say 'sometimes' added country. You should always add country. When it comes to Yorkshire always add East, North, West and (these days) South. There are similar named places in each part of the county

Victor

On 24/01/2021 4:07 am, UK kris wrote:

Hi Mike, thanks for the prompt response. 

I have most place names as “parish, City, County “ sometimes I’ve added “Country”. 

In address it can be “Name of building/street number, street number, street name “.

So I want to add the address to the place beginning with building name/street # etc to the left of the place details, and presume the 2nd step will be to add the country to the enf/right of  place names. 

Also, in place have used “Regn District - “Name” for those GRO  B, M, D indices. 

Do I?

1) select all in input filter

2) open mapping options tab

3) select copy all address parts to all place parts

4) do I need to change the numbers ?

5) select erase place parts duplicating address parts ?

6) left justify all place parts to place 1

7) perform rearrangement of parts. 

Kristeen Simpkin

On 24 Jan 2021, at 1:34 am, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Kristeen,

It would be helpful if you could identify the plugin and exactly what you want to reassign.

I presume you are talking about the ‘Rearrange Address and Place Parts’ plugin.

Have you tried reading the guide via the ‘Help and Advice’ button?

The ‘Output Column Part’ rows identify all the Address and Place column parts you have allowed via Tools > Work with Data > Addresses/Places.

For each ‘Output Column Part’ choose the ‘Input Column Part’ you want to be assigned to that part.

If you want the current Address 1 part to move to the Place 1 part then in the droplist to the left of Place 1 choose Address 1.

If you want the Address 1 output to be cleared then select <blank> on its left.

The ‘Input Filter’ tab allows you to choose which Address & Place combinations you want to change.

Please explain how you want your Address fields to be reassigned to Place names and what you want to happen to the current Place name columns.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of kristeen.simpkin30@...
Sent: 23 January 2021 17:10
To: family-historian@groups.io; 'Mike Tate' <post@...>
Subject: [family-historian] Reassign Addresses to Place Names.

Hi Mike,

I have accessed the Plug In to reassign my addresses to Place Names but have absolutely no idea how to use it.

I clicked on the Input Filter Tab, and then had no idea what to do next.

Can you give me step by step instructions, please.

Regards

Kristeen Simpkin

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.