Re: Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

Andrew Braid

A further advantage of the reverse display is that you don't have to worry about how many levels there are in a place. Of course you must be consistent in the parish, town, county, country order.

It should help in spotting gaps but I have never used in this way.

Andrew Braid

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 15:05 John Hanson <john.hanson@...> wrote:

One trick that Simon himself showed me a few months ago when talking about this issue was to use the “reverse display order” box at the bottom of the list of button

This sort the screen in the reverse order and easier to see instantly where the countries are missing

Regards
John Hanson - researching the Halstead/Holstead/Alstead names
Researcher, the Halsted Trust - https://www.halsted.org.uk
Research website - https://www.halstedresearch.org.uk

2021 Family History Conference - https://www.elizabethanancestors.org.uk

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 24 January 2021 13:45
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

No, as advised by Adrian, don’t add Addresses to Places yet.

First, add the Country to all Places where that is missing.

Use the Tools > Work with Data > Places… dialogue.

That has columns headed Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc, so if necessary use the Columns… button to increase that to at least 4 columns.

Your objective is to ensure Part 1 holds the Parish, Part 2 holds the City, Part 3 holds the County and Part 4 holds the Country.

If you have a significant number of foreign, particularly USA place names that also needs a State, then that column alignment may need revising.

e.g. Parish, City, County, State, Country where in the UK you can use …, Norfolk, England, UK and in USA use …, Washington County, Alabama, USA

That will need 5 columns.

Select any Place name that needs adjusting and click Edit… and then Edit… again in the popup dialogue.

Edit Place Name until it has all the columns needed leaving a blank space between commas where necessary.

Eventually the Tools > Work with Data > Places… place list should have each column Part filled in or blank.

Click on each Part column header in turn so that it is sorted alphabetically.

So if you click on the column header holding Country then they should be listed in order.

If you feel you have far too many Place names to edit by hand then we may need to use the ‘Search and Replace’ plugin.

e.g. If you have a great many places in Norfolk without England then that plugin could convert them all in one go.

When all your Place names have been tidied then we can move on to Address fields.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of UK kris
Sent: 24 January 2021 12:43
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

Ok Mike, got that message loud and clear. :)

Can I have your opinion on my going into every entry and adding the address to the place ensuring I have the correct number of columns and/or commas, irrespective of how many hours it may take me?

Kristeen. 

Kristeen Simpkin

On 24 Jan 2021, at 8:17 pm, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

DO NOT USE the ‘Find and Replace’ command to modify Place fields. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I have lost count of how many time I have given that warning.

Don’t come asking me to fix the resulting multiple Place records.

Mike Tate

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.