Re: Reassign Addresses to Place Names plugin.

Mike Tate

No, as advised by Adrian, don’t add Addresses to Places yet.

First, add the Country to all Places where that is missing.

Use the Tools > Work with Data > Places… dialogue.

That has columns headed Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc, so if necessary use the Columns… button to increase that to at least 4 columns.

Your objective is to ensure Part 1 holds the Parish, Part 2 holds the City, Part 3 holds the County and Part 4 holds the Country.

If you have a significant number of foreign, particularly USA place names that also needs a State, then that column alignment may need revising.

e.g. Parish, City, County, State, Country where in the UK you can use …, Norfolk, England, UK and in USA use …, Washington County, Alabama, USA

That will need 5 columns.

Select any Place name that needs adjusting and click Edit… and then Edit… again in the popup dialogue.

Edit Place Name until it has all the columns needed leaving a blank space between commas where necessary.

Eventually the Tools > Work with Data > Places… place list should have each column Part filled in or blank.

Click on each Part column header in turn so that it is sorted alphabetically.

So if you click on the column header holding Country then they should be listed in order.

If you feel you have far too many Place names to edit by hand then we may need to use the ‘Search and Replace’ plugin.

e.g. If you have a great many places in Norfolk without England then that plugin could convert them all in one go.

When all your Place names have been tidied then we can move on to Address fields.

Mike Tate