Re: Sources vs. Citations

ShaneB

Hi

As I understand it, copyright varies according to the nature of the object and the national laws in place.

As a photography enthusiast, I can say that in regard to photographs in Australia:
  • Generally, copyright in photos lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years.
  • Copyright has expired in photos taken prior to 1 January 1955.
  • Ownership of a photo varies depending on the circumstances under which it was taken.
  • You will not own copyright just because you own the camera.
  • Photographers also have moral rights in relation to their works.
On the internet in general, there seems to be little respect for copyright on photographs. I suspect most photographers who have posted images on line would be happy for their "fair use" provided they are acknowledged as the creator.

Apologies if this is burrowing way too deep into a complex subject.

Regards

Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia

On 9 Mar 2020, at 07:46, Victor Markham <victor@...> wrote:

I have been following this discussion

Those who download images posted by others only do so because it is part of their family tree search. That is how things develop and trees grow due to this providing connections to others.

Downloading census images from Ancestry etc is because they are available. No one would be able to build their tree unless the image is copied to it. There are errors in transcription of these trees. Ancestry gives people a chance to correct these errors  and give a reason why the transcription is wrong. I have done this quite a few times and read others comments when they have corrected an error. I do not know if Find My Pass allows this. I do not include the source for these census images as I don't see any point. I always add the census reference.

Anyone who posts photos onto Ancestry do so because they want others searching the same people to be aware of them. Strictly speaking copy right really belongs to those who up loaded them and no one else.

I once saw a photo which interested me so contacted the person direct and ask what his relationship was with those in the photo. His reply was that he gave me permission to copy it and said his cousin was related to them. The joke here was the photo in question was my own. It was of my mum and dad! Since we had found a connection I asked him for more details. He didn't reply. Instead I checked FreeBMD and gathered the required information. I then sent this to him and told him he was born in 1948 married. Gave his wife's name and and year of marriage plus the years his2 kids were born. Guess he got a shock with my giving him that information. He never replied. BMD on Ancestry goes much further, to 2007, than what is available on FreeBMD. UKBMD , in areas where it is available gives details of where a marriage took place. Register Office or name of church. I know people don't want to submit living person details but these are available on the above BMD sites so I search them out

Family Search claiming copy right is a joke as they get the stuff from others. From what they said it actually means no one can copy the information to their tree.

People who submit images do so to build their tree and to connect with others to have discussions on these matters

Victor

On 08/03/2020 4:44 pm, colevalleygirl@... wrote:
And some ancillary questions.

If you’ve downloaded an image, do you have the right to share it with others?  Ancestry (for example) says not necessarily:

Ancestry Content: The Services contain photos, videos, documents, records, indexes of content, and other content that are owned by or are licensed to Ancestry. We refer to this content as “Ancestry Content.” Except for WebSearch records, which are governed by the third parties that host the records, all Ancestry Content is owned by or licensed to us and may be used only in accordance with these Terms. You may use the Ancestry Content only as necessary for your personal use of the Services or your professional family history research, and download the Ancestry Content only as search results relevant to that research or where expressly permitted by Ancestry.

With respect to Ancestry Content, you agree:

·             To keep all copyright and other proprietary notices on any Ancestry Content you download or print; and
·             Not to distribute, republish, or sell significant portions of any Ancestry Content.

At the very least it would appear you need to record where the image came from.

FamilySearch has even more draconian restrictions:  see https://genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/15946/familysearch-terms-of-use-2018-and-ownership-of-information/ For an inconclusive but alarming discussion.

And so, when you pass on your research, you may not be entitled to pass on your images. But perhaps you’ll take the position that it doesn’t matter/nobody will check. And you will probably maybe get away with it.