From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Bruce
Sent: 15 January 2021 19:14
To: Family Historian Groups.io mailing list <Family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [family-historian] 1939 National Register

The indexing was definitely done differently. So far as I know, Ancestry bought the redacted images and indexed those. Easy enough (?!)

When FMP did it, they were starting from the full pages and had to produce a complete index, I believe. While it might be thought inevitable that FMP's indexers would need to see the whole page, someone unfortunately had the bright idea of just showing them a column at a time, letting them index the columns and then spinning everything round inside the computer ( before presenting the lines to be redacted).

The problem with indexing column at a time is that it's dreadfully easy to get punch drunk doing a whole column of similar data and missing something out or double entering. With the result that the transcript can show a line with part of its own data, followed by the data from the row above.

Adrian