Re: Mapping Facility in FH

Robert Jordan

Thanks Mike you have made my point exactly.
If you find a BMD registration in Keynsham then it would be natural to show that as the birth, marriage or death Place. The Geocoding would presumably place a mark on Keynsham on the Map. If subsequently you find that the event took place in Mangotsfield in a different County Then some people might assume that Mangotsfield is in Keynsham. An understandable mistake to make unless you are conversant with every place in the Country and I doubt whether there are many who would profess to be that knowledgeable.
I do not know whether the Geocoding system being used would pick up the Place Mangotsfield, Keynsham, Somerset and would place a map marker on Keynsham or Mangotsfield or neither.
That is precisely why I advocate using the original document to record a Place and exercise caution in dealing with the mapping facility which is after all incidental to the main purpose of FH which is History.

Robert Jordan