Re: Transfer Family Historian to New Computer

Mike Tate

Jan,

You cannot now buy FH V6 and you cannot simply ‘delete’ an installed program like FH V6.

The error message is not as serious as it sounds and re-installing FH V6 should fix it.

So I suggest you install the FH V6.0 CD on this new laptop the same way you installed it on your old laptop.

You will need to update to the latest free download of FH V6.2.7 from the Family Historian web site.

Then you can load the data saved on your USB and get FH V6.2 running in the way that is familiar to you.

I think trying to upgrade to a new laptop with the new FH V7 but with old FH V6 USB data backups is fraught with snags.

Let me know if you have any problem with my suggestion, like there is no CD drive on the new laptop.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jan Howell
Sent: 04 January 2021 12:40
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Transfer Family Historian to New Computer

Mike you kindly offered advice for Family Historian and the new F7 version for when I bought a new laptop.  I  now have a new laptop but I am not at all tech savvy so ordered Transfer my PC10 with Application mover.  It’s transferred Family Historian to the new laptop, which wasn’t totally intended.  When I’ve tried to open FH there’s an error message “Cannot find DLL may be missing, corrupt or wrong version File “mfc.100u.dll” error 126”,  The plan is to buy a new download of FH6, which comes with free download to F7 and transfer all the backed up info, from USB to FH7, once loaded.  My question is this, is it ok just to delete the version of FH that’s transferred onto the new laptop, without compromising downloading the new version of FH?  It would be very helpful if you would send me a link to buy the new FH too please.  Best wishes!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 29 November 2020 22:17

The alternative is to do what Jan is planning to do.

Buy a download of an FH V6 full licence from Calico Pie now costing £35.99.

That avoids needing a CD drive and includes a free upgrade to FH V7 when released next year.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of hjf5530 via groups.io
Sent: 29 November 2020 21:04
To: family-historian@groups.io

Thanks Neil, unfortunately the disc drive in the old computer doesn't work but from many of the suggestions I think I need to invest in an external disc drive.
Hilary

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.