Thanks, Neil, for your help and warning. We've now got a system up and running that's a slight change from our original plan. Since I'm retired and have more time than my son for research, I do all the recording in Family Historian, which I back up frequently to Google Drive (as well as to my two external hard drives). He can then download the latest zipped backup file and unzip it into his Family Historian; and if he finds anything that needs adding or amending, he can email details to me for inputting.

Best regards,

Geoff

On 27/12/2020 09:29, Neil Grantham via groups.io wrote:

Geoff

I think by default Google drive doesn’t show in Windows File Explorer like OneDrive and Dropbox which could be why FH project explorer doesn’t find it.
See this Google article on how to add it. Not sure if it will fix your issue though.

https://support.google.com/drive/thread/12144806?hl=en

I would be VERY wary of two people sharing a project. You have to be 100% sure only one person accessed it at a time.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

From: Geoffrey Knott
Sent: Dec 27, 2020 at 7:07 AM
Tofamily-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Google Drive

Hi all,

Having seen recent threads about accessing a FH Project via two computers (whether both are owned by one person, or each by two collaborating individuals), I decided to try and share my main project with my son in this way, which would be more convenient that swapping copies via memory cards as we live some 70 miles apart. We each have our own computer and each have our own copy of Family Historian V7. I decided against Onedrive and Dropbox - the two cloud storage systems mentioned in the threads - because of the limits on free storage (I didn't want to pay for extra cloud storage without being sure that the idea would work), and instead went for Google Drive, which allows sufficient space for my 5gb main project.

I successfully uploaded all the files in the project folder, and I know they are there because I can see them via both my laptop and my mobile phone. I gave Drive my son's email address as a person to have access, and sent him the message via Drive to tell him that, and he tells me that he received the message.

The problem is that neither he nor I can access the uploaded project. I can't get it to show in my projects list: that only shows the projects (including the same one) stored on my computer. And I can't find a path via File Explorer to Google Drive, which I can only access via my Google account, and which does not seem to support the use of FH.

Can anybody please advise. Have I missed a step somewhere, or is the whole idea unworkable and misconceived on my part?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

--
Neil Grantham