Re: Removing unlinked Place records

Robert Jordan

Thanks Graham
Lorna gave me a solution which I have now used so I will keep your suggestion for future reference. It is interesting to note that someone else also wants to remove redundant place records as I had been led to believe that there was overwhelming support to retain them.

As a matter of interest I deleted over 1200 redundant place records
Regards

Rob Jordan

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 at 19:32, <graham.kent872@...> wrote:
Robert,

Fortunately there is a simple solution to your problem using the new features within fH7. It would be easier for me to describe the process by describing how to build a new Query.

  1. Make a copy of the PLACES query provided with fH7,
  2. On the Column tab, add a new column with a heading of "Links to" and an expression of "=LinksTo(%_PLAC%)",
  3. On the Rows tab, add a filter with condition of "Exclude unless", Expression is "%_PLAC.LATLONG%" and operator is "is null",
  4. On the Rows tab, add a filter with condition of "Exclude unless", Expression is "=LinksTo(%_PLAC%)" and operator is "is less than" and value is "1".
Unfortunately, it is up to you to delete those Place records that you wish to, but that is rather easy if you open the Places Records window and sort the list using the "Links" column (all those with no links will be at the bottom).

I have run this on 2 Projects of over 1,500 individuals and it works.  It works because "LinksTo" provides the number of links TO a given record { I'll leave you to guess what "LinksFrom" does } and is the value of the Latitude and Longitude.

Apologies for putting this in a simple manner, but it makes it easy for users of all levels to create the query that I have discussed.

Hope that helps,

Graham