Re: Using Search & Replace causes Text from Source issues with Individual Links

Robert Jordan

Dear Lorna

I also apologise if I confused you so we will bring that matter to an end.

There is one matter I would like your views on.

Many years ago long before FH introduced a facility for research I developed a very simple and effective method of recording research. It involved setting up a new fact “Research” which was pre-birth. So if I came across a document on which I needed to do more research on before entering the information in the record I would add the research fact to the Individual record and enter for example the research required “1871 census” and the full address in the place field together with any note in the note field.

A simple query would then produce a list of all the people who had a research fact. When the research was completed for an individual I would delete the research fact. What I had not realised is that the whole fact was not deleted but the place record was still retained even though it was unlinked.

Recent events have prompted me to look at the place records and I find 100s of unlinked place records. Some of them have map coordinates but most do not. It will take me a long time to go through them deleting those with no map coordinates as it is not possible to list them as no link and no map coordinates and creating a query would not work as there seems to be no column for number of links.

I do not wish to get involved in an argument about whether these unlinked records should be automatically be deleted however if the map coordinates field causes a problem the algorithm could be along the lines

Delete places record IF no of links is 0 AND map coordinates field is empty.

Alternatively for those of us who do not want the clutter of unwanted place records would it be possible to introduce a function in working with place records to delete unlinked records along the lines described above so that Users are at least given a choice and any unlinked place record with map coordinates is retained. It would be possible to add other fields to the algorithm such as media and notes

Or even someone could develop a plug-in!!!

Regards

Robert Jordan