Re: Proposed upgrade to FH7

Mike Tate

When FH v7 is installed it should inherit all your settings from FH v6 and adjust as necessary.

However, it would be wise to make a Full Project Backup and backup your custom settings by using the Backup and Restore FH Settings plugin.

I presume by data folder structure for FH you are referring to the Family Historian Projects folder?

If for any reason FH v7 does not inherit your setting for that folder, then the only thing that needs correcting is the File > Project Window > Location.

I hope you are not talking about the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian data structure that is best left on the C: drive, but needs backing up from time to time using the plugin mentioned above.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robin
Sent: 19 December 2020 09:16
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Proposed upgrade to FH7

I have not seen this question asked so far in the myriad of FH7 upgrade postings. Being of the older generation I was taught over 30 years ago, and learnt the hard way, not to keep data and software on the same hard drive. I therefore have all the data folder structure on a secondary hard drive. All drives are backed up every 2 days. Back when I upgraded to FH6 it was unable to know where to find the data was so created a new data folder structure on the C: drive which involved a lot of work to sort out and I do not wish that to happen again with FH7. Is this new upgrade intelligent enough to find the data structure in order to update the files accordingly? I will not be attempting this until January as I cannot cope with additional stress leading up to Christmas.

I would like to thank our FH experts for all their excellent work in their beta testing of FH7 and supporting us users over this troubled 2020. I would also like to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and New Year.

Robin Dew

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.