Re: "How to" resources for getting started

Jenny Cochrane

Hi Lester

Perhaps someone else will know better, but I don't think there is a "rule" for this, everybody will have their own way of recording these anomalies. I think it's just important to be consistent and to record info in a way that is meaningful and self explanatory.

I think you need to record that this is KITTY Smith, having only her surname in the name field will prove very confusing. Though not offically named at birth, she was de facto Kitty Smith. How you then record the anomaly is optional.Unless you specifically want it specified in the name field "Kitty (no name at birth) Smith", you could add it as a note attached to the birth fact or in the alternate name field.