Re: "How to" resources for getting started

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

I’d call her Kitty Smith. Was she baptised? Or (if she was born after Civil Registration) does her birth certificate record a name given after birth?

In any case, you’d record the documents you have as a source for her name (including the birth certificate, as that’s a source for her surname, as well as the fact she wasn’t named when registered).

As you’ve got ESM’s book, you’re probably happy with recording sources and citing them – shout if you aren’t. Simply linking images to an individual has a large number of drawbacks.

On to your big question: where to find this ‘how to’ detail.  You won’t find a single source that provides the info to the nth degree – there are a lot of books that cover the simple issues, but for stuff like this, the best way is to ask on this mailing list or in the FHUG forums.

Helen