"How to" resources for getting started

Lester Gilbert

Two questions, please.  The little question is how to properly record a person who was not given a name at birth, since they were not expected to live.  Their birth certificate simply records their family name, let's say "Smith".  However, they survived, and were given the nickname "Kitty" for the, ah, sound they made when they sneezed.  In all further documents, such as their marriage, death, and probate, they were noted as "Kitty Smith".  Do I create a FH person record with name (1) "() Smith", (2) "(Kitty) Smith", (3) "(no name) (Kitty) Smith", (4) "No name (Kitty) Smith", (5) "Kitty Smith", (6) "Kitty (no name at birth) Smith", ...?

The big question is where to find this "how to" detail.  I've got the Dummies Guide, but that is about where to find information, nice but not a problem for me.  I've got ESM's "Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian", but that's about referencing, again nice but not a problem for me.  What is the book or on-line resource I need for how to record facts?  Many thanks!