Re: Missing parents in the Focus Window

Mike Tate

As time goes on you may find other anomalies due to the imperfect File Merge.
Yes, select both Sources and use Edit > Merge/Compare Records to amalgamate Citations.
In general, any types of record (Notes, Sources, Media, Places, etc) with zero Links/Citations can be deleted, unless you have a particular purpose to keep them.
Regards, Mike Tate

-----Original Message-----
From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony Leeming
Sent: 04 March 2020 10:17
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Missing parents in the Focus Window

Hello Mike,

Yes, you are right. The parent problem is now corrected - thanks.

I have also looked at sources and there are some duplicates which I assume I should merge.

I also have a few sources with zero citations, should these be deleted?

Thanks again,

Tony.

On 03/03/2020 17:03, Mike Tate wrote:
Hi Tony,
I suspect you have added the Father as a Child to another Family record that has no Parents.
Yes, that probably arose with the Merge, possibly because you did not review the Families tab closely enough.
It is important when using Merge to check every tab carefully and not just the Individuals tab.
You may find that you have other issues such as duplicated Source records or Media records.

In the Property Box of the Father open the All tab and there should be two Parents family entries.
One will say ...of (parents not known) so expand that entry and check that it is empty.
If so then select that Parents family name and press the Delete key to remove it.

Regards, Mike Tate

-----Original Message-----
From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On
Behalf Of Tony Leeming
Sent: 03 March 2020 16:10
To: Family Historian Users Group <family-historian@groups.io>
Subject: [family-historian] Missing parents in the Focus Window

Hello all,

Something has happened that I do not understand and help would be appreciated.

In the Focus Window with the spouses and children tab, for one of my people I get a blank in the two parent boxes above. I thought I must have unlinked him from the rest of the tree but I do not think that is so and a diagram looks right.

I then spotted next to the father's box up and down arrows. Pressing these brings back the parents or removes them. This must surely be due to something I have done but what? Can someone tell me please what it is and how to put it right. I did do a merge at one point at this generation link but everything seemed well until now.

Thanks in anticipation,

Tony Leeming.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.