Re: Unable to open file and file not found FH6.2

leelegs <pauline.mitchell88@...>

Hi Mike

Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond regarding my FH project. I have had a Support Ticket 841418 response yesterday, and this morning from Ros at Calico Pie, some questions to which I have responded.

At 78, and I don’t regard myself as thick in the least, but I am not fully conversant with all the in’s and out’s of the workings of a computer nor, for that matter, databases. Yes, I use them, I have a 60,000 entry database of individual pedigrees for the Labrador Retriever breed and the FH6.2 for Family History. For 98 per cent of the time I don’t experience any problem with accessing data, entering data, or closing them when I finish my work.

Having not used the FH6.2 for quite some time, the last occasion I can recall was in June 2018. I produced finished work for 10 A4 volumes of information with certificates and photographs for the Bi-Centenary celebration, in Bristol (at which I sang), for my great great grandfather, Moses Brain, born 1818 died 1918. I also prior to that, did an amount of work for my, now, late cousin Christine. Her surname was Manners – their titles are Dukes and Earls of Rutland UK and she was interested in finding out if she had any connection. She did and I managed to trace back through humble beginnings in Calne, Wiltshire, via MPs, Archbishops of Canterbury, Knights of the Realm, Plantagenet family, and The Black Prince  to Cerdic in 534AD the first King of Wessex – there are gaps though. She was delighted with this prior to her demise.

I came to the FH database again recently and to my horror, after inputting all that information and, of course, my own lineage to my Lee origins, I was saddened to find that via the icon I could not access the tree. I rang the Tech-Guys at Know How but they don’t help with specific databases, so that was that. An elderly friend, 93, advised me to contact the FH help desk which I did.

Anyway, sorry to be so verbose, but I do thank all who have tried to assist. I’m not sure how to do screen shots, but my husband is, and I must ask him about them. What I tend to do is, I know about baking, housekeeping, cooking and singing and he knows about mobile telephones, the TV, the car and the computer and I leave him to it. We both know, though, about our remaining Yellow Labrador, Magnus (Sharouns Ganymede at Stelmarin) and love this nearly 12 year old with a passion.

Once again, Mike, thank you for taking both the time and trouble to try to assist. In this instance, having responded to Ros at Calico Pie, I await his further deliberations, after which, hopefully, my Michael will be able to work some magic.

Kind regards

Pauline

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 23 February 2020 18:19
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Unable to open file and file not found FH6.2

Sorry that you are having problems with your FH Project.

I’m sure it can be recovered but it would help to have more details about exactly what commands you are using and what the FH displays are showing.

So if for example you are trying to open your Project by clicking on File, then Project Window, selecting your Project name, and finally clicking Open Project, then please supply that detail.

It often helps us if you can attach screenshots to your message, as a picture paints a thousand words.

Some users find it easier to use the FHUG Forums and Knowledge Base instead of this Email service.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of leelegs via Groups.Io
Sent: 23 February 2020 12:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Unable to open file and file not found FH6.2

I have used FH6.2 for quite some time, although not in recent months. When I came to access the database recently I could access, if required the Sample Project, but if I wished to access my used database what comes to screen is a square box and on the left-hand side of this box is a red roundel with a X in it. The first line of information in the box says 'Unable to open file' and then there are two more lines of information which I recognise as being the paths via which I ought to be able to access the database, but then the last line says 'File not found'.

In other directories not connected with FH6.2 I do have a couple of versions of my database which I can access. I also have an external back-up facility, but I don't know at what date the last back-up was done - something I must give serious thought to. Is it possible, using either the external back-up facility or one of the versions in my other directories to get the information transported to FH6.2?

I'm not thick, but I am not computer literate as far as the inner workings of paths etc are concerned. I am also 78 years of age - so be gentle with me.

leelegs

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.