Re: Problems with OneDrive replication

Mike Tate

I was not sure exactly how you used the PC copies of the FH Project files, but it is now clear they are redundant leftovers from moving to OneDrive.

I thought you may have been regularly copying files between those PC copies and the OneDrive copies.

It is probably best to delete them to avoid any future confusion, and instead create regular FH Full Project Backups from your live Project on OneDrive.

As you have correctly identified, those OneDrive files are permanently on both your PC disk drives as well as in the OneDrive cloud.

Yes, you can safely delete any out-of-date Snapshot files. Another FH user has experienced similar issues with too many Snapshots.

It looks like all the live files (without the -Chillblast… suffix) have the latest ‘Date modified’ so are presumably your working data set.

There is virtually no risk in deleting all the -Chillblast… or -DESKTOP… suffixed files, but let them go to the Recycle Bin where they can be recovered for a while in case you discover any significant missing data.

The two GEDCOM files may be worth backing up outside OneDrive separately just in case as they hold the most critical data.

It appears that the synchronisation problems arose on more than just 19/01 and 10/02 because there are many more ‘Date modified’ values ranging from 17/11 to 17/02 for the Cache files.

You need to take care that only one application on one PC is accessing those FH files at the same time.

Most customisation settings (such as Queries) are NOT held within Projects, and some are even held in the Windows Registry.

They must be transferred separately and there is advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base on how to do that, and the simplest method employs my Plugin.

Maybe you originally followed the Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide or alternatively the Utility ~ Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive) advice.

They both identify my Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin.

If you need any help with using it then do ask.

Regards, Mike Tate