From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 08 October 2020 12:23
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Alternative Ancestors

Hi Neill,

FH only offers the embed option to be compatible with the GEDCOM 5.5 specification.

Nowadays, no products use that feature and always have media files separate from the GEDCOM file.

Online trees such as at Ancestry, FindMyPast, MyHeritage, ZoomPast, etc, do not allow bulk uploading or downloading of files linked to a GEDCOM file.

There are workarounds in some cases as explained in the FHUG Knowledge Base.

For importing downloads from other products see Importing to Family Historian:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian

For exporting from FH to other products see the Export Gedcom File Plugin:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:export_gedcom_file

Review its Output Formats for products that interest you:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:output_formats

You will discover that each product has its own interpretation of GEDCOM with its own variants.

The above guides explain how to cope with those variations.

The core features of GEDCOM are usually OK but some details leave something to be desired.

Mike Tate