Re: Standard Diagrams - All Descendants

Lorna Craig

Correction:  The date of Johanna's marriage to John won't be in John's box.  (My own settings are different, I should have double checked).  But you can insert the date of that marriage into Johanna's (or John's) box manually.   Right-click in the background of the diagram and select Insert into Diagram > Text Box.   Right-click the Text box and select Format.   You will ned to set the box line to 'None' and the box fill to the same pale yellow colour as Johanna's box.    On the Text tab enter Marr: (1) Aug 1958, (2) 1971.   Resize the text box so that it is small enough to fit over the existing 'Marr' line in Johanna's box. You will have to experiment with the size of the font to get it to match the size of other text in Johanna's box.  Now drag the text box over Johanna's box to cover the existing 'Marr' line.

On 16/09/2020 21:19, Lorna Craig via groups.io wrote:

Bill,

There are a few things you can do:

1. Rather than move Luke George to the right (which might cause other parts of the main diagram to shift in odd ways at the same time), move the children of Johanna and John to the left.  You can do this by opening the Movement Control Box and selecting Box and Bar move.  You will then be able to 'grab' the bar above the children (Peter and Kirsten Hanson) and drag it to the left.   This should give enough room to overlay the two Johanna boxes.

2.  Once you have overlaid the two Johanna boxes, right-click on any of the boxes in the inserted tree and choose Order > Send to Back.  this will put the purple Johanna box behind the yellow one so that the visible box is the same colour as the others in her row.

3. In Diagram Options, main tab, Sundry Colours, choose Marked Boxes (top of the list) and select the same pale yellow colour.  Click OK.   Now in the diagram right-click on John Hanson's box and select Mark.  His box should now be the same colour as Johanna's.  (I don't think you can also make their children's boxes the same colour as Luke's box unfortunately.)

The resulting diagram will have the date of Johanna's marriage to John in John's box, and the date of her marriage to George in her own box.  I don't think there is an easy way of getting both her marriages to show in one box in this scenario.

Once you have arranged things, use Diagram >Save Diagram as > Family Historian Chart, giving it an appropriate name.  The saved chart can then be viewed again later from View > Saved Charts.    You need to be aware that if you make any changes or additions to data which affect the main tree this may cause parts of the tree to move and the inserted tree may no longer be accurately aligned and may ned to be moved again.

I hope this helps.

Lorna

On 16/09/2020 17:40, Bill Metcalf wrote:

Lorna

I attach the source of my frustration:

Joanna Leuty married twice – to George Metcalf (192) and John Hanson (498).

I have done as you suggested and inserted John H + Johanna Louise as a couple plus their Descendants.

I now want to join them properly (as married) and also to adjust the layout so that it looks sensible e.g. with m1 & m2 (with dates) for Joanna and also to move Luke George a bit to the right so that I can overlay the two Joanna boxes.

I feel sure that this can be done (and thank you for getting me this far) but I have fallen at the last hurdle!

So, if you can help, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Bill

P.S. It would also be nice to respect the generational colour scheme but I can live without that!