Re: Can I view a family as shown in a Census? (ex TMG user)

mvilla108

Mike,

After reading your email of 1 Sep 2020, 10:07 I think I now understand how my TMG census event structure doesn’t match the way FH works.

I followed the fhug link you gave me https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:import_from_tmg.

From there, under Import Discussions, I followed the link to Census details import to Family Historian 5 from TMG April 2014 ~ Witness and UK Census problems

This was your reply to another ex-TMG FH newcomer who had a similar problem to mine.

In this document, you explained that my census event tags used the EVEN tag whereas FH uses CENS and suggested using your Change Any Fact FH Plugin to change them.

I downloaded this and Lo and Behold all my “missing” census people instantly appeared. I don’t understand how this happened without my having to request action from the Plugin, but I am very pleased with the result.

Maybe you could enlighten me on how the Plugin works? I’m interested to know.

Thanks again,

Rob

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 10:07, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Rob,

There are several alternative ways of recording and viewing Census information.

For example, instead of using the All tab, you can use the Facts tab then right-click the Census fact and choose Witnesses.

You can tell there are witnesses because of the three linked blue balls icon.

With TMG imports the Census (family) fact is linked to the Family couple with children as witnesses but otherwise very similar to what you found.

There are many TMG users who have faced your problem and found a satisfactory FH compatible solution.

The Family Historian User Group (FHUG) has discussion Forums and a Knowledge Base that explains the options.

It is also much easier to attach screenshots to simplify those explanations.

e.g. See the extensive ‘Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG)’ advice at:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:import_from_tmg

Please visit https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/ where you can join and use for free.

I look forward to meeting you there.