Re: Data matching privacy issue on MyHeritage

Adrian Bruce

I got a bit uptight the first time that I saw my photos of my GG-GPs in someone else's tree. And then I thought that, after my death, there's every chance that the originals will be destroyed. So isn't it better that the digital copies are out there? You might say that the images should be cited and acknowledged - yes, but we need to remember that the choice is not between uncontrolled / uncited / unacknowledged copies and controlled / cited copies, the choice is between uncontrolled copies and none.

As far as relying on the redaction processing in Ancestry, FindMyPast, MyHeritage, FamilySearch etc - I don't. I originally entered my parents with given names of LIVING. It won't, of course, stop anyone adept with genealogical indexes from working out who they were, but that would be a risk anyway, tree or no tree.

It's an interesting point about the passenger list containing details about living people. All I can say is that the data is there whether there's a tree or not. Perhaps not wholly satisfactory as a response.

Adrian