Re: Data matching privacy issue on MyHeritage

Allan Knodel

Are you logged in to your account on MH when you click the links? When you log out of your account do you get the same results? Just wondering....

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 04:16, Fruitbat <eric.familyhistory@...> wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that results from MyHeritage reveal information about living people appearing in other peoples’ trees?

For example, the MH match I received for one living individual in my tree, doesn’t only reveal that he is in another tree, it gives his year of birth, lists his parents, his wife (with year of birth), his children (with their years of birth) and his siblings – all of whom are living!

Clicking on the links provided for each of the above relatives returns the named individual’s profile page, which is then correctly flagged as <Private>, with no forename or vital information displayed, but it does show the surnames (birth and married) of the mother and of the siblings and half-siblings.

These disclosures appear to be in breach of MH’s own policy, which is shown on each individual’s profile page, which says “MyHeritage protects the privacy of its users strictly: information on living people is not disclosed to protect privacy. ...”

This isn't a one-off, it's the same whenever living people appear in the family of a matched individual.