Re: Data matching privacy issue on MyHeritage

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Best taken up with MyHeritage I suggest as they control what data is included in hints.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Fruitbat
Sent: 18 August 2020 12:17
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Data matching privacy issue on MyHeritage

Has anyone else noticed that results from MyHeritage reveal information about living people appearing in other peoples’ trees?

For example, the MH match I received for one living individual in my tree, doesn’t only reveal that he is in another tree, it gives his year of birth, lists his parents, his wife (with year of birth), his children (with their years of birth) and his siblings – all of whom are living!

Clicking on the links provided for each of the above relatives returns the named individual’s profile page, which is then correctly flagged as <Private>, with no forename or vital information displayed, but it does show the surnames (birth and married) of the mother and of the siblings and half-siblings.

These disclosures appear to be in breach of MH’s own policy, which is shown on each individual’s profile page, which says “MyHeritage protects the privacy of its users strictly: information on living people is not disclosed to protect privacy. ...”

This isn't a one-off, it's the same whenever living people appear in the family of a matched individual.