Re: How do you deal with transcription errors?

Andy Kennedy

I record all the variants as alternative names. Experience has taught me that over time it's easy to forget why you have a record that, on the face of it, doesn't match your individual. The variants come in useful when searching for other records too, as the permutations in many cases have been used more than once. It gets unwieldy when there are a lot of variations - I have names with 10 or 12, especially for Irish records - but at least the information is there at hand and saved for future reference.

Andy