Re: Media items in FH

Brian Horridge

David
Could it be that when you "drag" a file from a memory stick it usually copies the file to the new locatiion (leaving the original file still there) but if you drag a file from one location to another on the same disc it will actually move it.  It could be that because the file is still on the memory stick FH has not changed it's location reference.
Brian

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: 30 July 2020 17:10:44 BST
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Media items in FH

Victor,

I don’t have a problem loading from the memory stick to FH - either by Open File or Drag and Drop.  It is the fact that FH has not put the file where I want it to be - i.e. within FH. It is still stored on the memory stick and listed under D drive
Usually when I try to place an item in Media by either route (from File or Drag and Drop) FH asks whether I want it to copy the data.  But it doesn’t when I upload these screenshots.

Thanks for trying.

David
David Gynes
specbear@...

On 30 Jul 2020, at 16:37, Victor Markham <victor@...> wrote:

If you prompt media you will get a message saying 'insert from file' this should open the file you have on your media stick

I haven't used media stick and normally insert things direct from the file on my computer

Victor

On 30/07/2020 4:18 pm, David Gynes via groups.io wrote:
I have downloaded some screenshots from online sources on to a memory stick, things like Baptism entries from PRs, .
When I started to upload them to the relevant person’s media records I did not get the usual message from FH asking if I wanted to copy it into the FH itself.
I now have files showing in 'Work with External Links’  listed under D: - D being the memory stick.

I still have the data on the memory stick so am happy to delete the files stored under D and start again, but, please, how do I put data from the memory stick into FH and not have it as an external link which is inaccesssible as soon as I disconnect the stick?

I have looked at the wiki and in the help section of working with external links, but can’ see where I’m going wrong.

Any hints appreciated.

David Gynes
specbear@...

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.