Rearrange Media Folder

johnfirr@...

I have been happily loading various media directly into my project media folder over a period of time.
However it has now come to the point where I would like to tidy that folder up a bit by adding a simple series of subfolders for documents, people, places.
I see that media represents quite a big chunk of the forum traffic so it seems easy to go astray.

I understand that I can access the project media folder through file manager and create the new sub folders and move the media files accordingly. But what is the correct procedure to follow to avoid ending up with broken links etc?

regards
John