Re: File path incorrect, New Windows 10 laptop, FH v 6.27 newly installed

Mike Tate

Yes, typically on new PC the C: drive is a comparatively small but fast solid state drive (SSD) intended just for the Windows OS and installed programs but not their data.

Usually there is a large traditional spinning hard disk drive (HDD) D: intended for data, pictures, etc.

If you are using MS OneDrive then set up its OneDrive folder on that D: drive and in its Backup settings you can move the entire Documents folder into the OneDrive folder.

Then in FH File > Project Window > More Tasks > Project List > Choose Location for Projects and browse to D:\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Evelyn and Christopher Wilcock via Groups.Io
Sent: 06 February 2020 09:38
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] File path incorrect, New Windows 10 laptop, FH v 6.27 newly installed

I am facing something similar.

Our new computer running Windows 10 offered the suggestion to put my document data and pictures in the C:/ drive which I did.

But then this morning as I prepared to move more pictures, I saw to my horror that my C:/ drive was almost full and there was another  drive marked D:/ for Data.

This is new to me. Having checked with HP, I am currently moving all my data to the D:/ drive.

After doing that I shall need to tell fh that its data Project folder location is on the D:/ drive.

I could be in trouble too, but I hope not.

This may not be relevant to the previous poster. But I too have been in new territory.

Evelyn Wilcock

Join family-historian@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.