[espeak-ng:master] reported: Add English pronounciation of "Krzysztof" to en_dict #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #976 Add English pronounciation of "Krzysztof" to en_dict
By jaacoppi:

See _^_<language code> in docs/dictionary.md. The problem with that is the tone of some languages is so far apart that the loan words sound really different from the base language. They're too noticeable.

Speech synthesis isn't an exact science and there's a lot of room for personal preferences. Use case also matters; I know screen reader users who prefer different settings for listening and writing. I think it's best to aim for sensible defaults and let power users make their own modifications to the pronunciation lists.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #976 Add English pronounciation of "Krzysztof" to en_dict
By krzysz00:

... huh, I didn't know that was an option. I might have to go back and redo my personal en_extra to take advantage of it. (One thing I'm quite happy with about espeak is that I can actually swap in a dictionary when something isn't being pronounced right - I wish more speech synthesizers exposed a "no, trust me, here's the IPA" setting)