[espeak-ng:master] reported: eSpeak/TalkBack issue when language tag is not provided. #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #905 eSpeak/TalkBack issue when language tag is not provided.
By alex19EP:

Thank you, how I can I follow up if the value is passed to eSpeak from TalkBack, or there is something wrong at TalkBack side?

hello. can you explicitly select needed language in talkback local menu. and provide your result.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #905 eSpeak/TalkBack issue when language tag is not provided.
By raminhalavati:

Hi, When a language is selected in Talkback as default TTS language, and user navigates to a webpage without a language tag, Talkback sends the default TTS langauge in a manner that eSpeak currently ignores it (details in previous comments). From the comments on April 8 and 10, I understand that eSpeak can read the default language from SynthesisRequest.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #905 eSpeak/TalkBack issue when language tag is not provided.
By rhdunn:

What are the values for getLanguage, getCountry, and getVariant and getVoiceName passed to eSpeak from the SynthesisRequest. Without knowing that, I cannot trace what is happening.

On lollipop and later, eSpeak uses the value of getVoiceName if set, otherwise (if the voice name is null or empty, or on android prior to lollipop) it uses the language/country/variant to select the voice.

What is likely happening is that the request is including the voice name (the default selected language) and that is set to English, so it is reading the Arabic/Persian characters one character at a time in English. You will need to set the default language to Farsi/Persian to get the page to read correctly.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #905 eSpeak/TalkBack issue when language tag is not provided.
By raminhalavati:

My Android knowledge is not at a level that I would be able to test if the values are available in the API, but the default language is selected in TalkBack UI.