[espeak-ng:master] reported: Licensing question regarding linking #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #908 Licensing question regarding linking
By iUltimateLP:

Ah, thanks for the response! So I may maintain my own fork of the project, but I still can't link that against my game project without the nessecity to make my game open-source too, right?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #908 Licensing question regarding linking
By valdisvi:

Everything you modify, compile, link and build together should be open sourced with GPL-v3 license. But nobody limits you to use unmodified project. You may also look at Google's guide to the open source licenses.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #908 Licensing question regarding linking
By iUltimateLP:

I see, thanks. So there is no plan to add a linking exception to the license? I see that there a good reasons to have a GPL license, but eSpeak NG could be a great tool in the game dev world too if we'd be allowed to link against the library. A CLI/pipe solution with the unmodified executable of the project is not very optimal unfortunately as it can be unstable and it depends on other user-dependant factors (IO speed, num of threads, ...) that we can't assume.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #908 Licensing question regarding linking
By rhdunn:

As we are not able to contact the original developer of eSpeak (Johnathan Duddington), it is not possible to modify the license for the existing codebase, including adding exceptions.

However, a possibility would be for you to make use of the SAPI interface on Windows. The implementation of that for espeak-ng is currently experimental, so if you were to improve it that would be awesome. See #7 for a tracker for the current state of the SAPI support. One of the main challenges/difficulties is figuring out how best to handle the voice to language logic, as my understanding is that a voice can only register as supporting a single language, and populating SAPI with a voice per language would be far from ideal. -- Ideally, there should be a single voice registered (eSpeak), where the language is determined from the requesting API calls, and the voice option (from the !v folder, and the mbrola voices) should be configurable via a settings control panel UI.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #908 Licensing question regarding linking
By iUltimateLP:

Ah, yea that makes sense. I wonder what happened to him - hopefully nothing terrible.

SAPI would be a cool idea, but unfortunately it's only available on Windows I think, and I'm planning to ship the game on other platforms too.

So I probably won't get around writing some sort of service listening to a IPC socket or something, which links to espeak. To my understanding, that service would then need to be GPL too, and I ship that with my game without having to license the game under GPL.