Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: Pronouncing words with multiple apostrophes in Turkish #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #875 Pronouncing words with multiple apostrophes in Turkish
By jaacoppi:

Confirmed. The part before first apostrophe is missing:

espeak-ng -v tr "Celâ'led'din" -x
lEdd'In
espeak-ng -v tr "Celâled'din" -x
dZelalEdd'In
espeak-ng -v tr "Celâ'leddin" -x
dZelaled:'In

espeak-ng -v tr "Celâ'led'din" -x
Translate 'celâ'led'din'
  1     c        [dZ]

  1     e        [e]

  1     l        [l]

 36     â       [a]

 22     ' (P0p   []

Translate 'led'din'
  1     l        [l]

  1     e        [e]

  1     d        [d]

 22     ' (P0p   []

Translate 'din'
  1     d        [d]

  1     i        [i]

  1     n        [n]

lEdd'In

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #875 Pronouncing words with multiple apostrophes in Turkish
By jaacoppi:

This line: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/b19e8017339b4e11d4fde884b23bec5c98d84542/src/libespeak-ng/translate.c#L828-L829

Causes this block of code to activate: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/b19e8017339b4e11d4fde884b23bec5c98d84542/src/libespeak-ng/translate.c#L828-L829

Somehow, having two SUFX_B flags in the same word causes espeak-ng to forget about the first part.

P.S. (Pb is undocumented in docs/dictionary.md, it should be added there.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #875 Pronouncing words with multiple apostrophes in Turkish
By jaacoppi:

Yeah, wrong paste for the tr_rules. But I think (Pb is intentional:

https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/b19e8017339b4e11d4fde884b23bec5c98d84542/src/libespeak-ng/translate.c#L888-L890

@Qchristensen can you provide some with turkish? What is the meaning of the character ', what does it do? What is it used for? Commenting out the (Pb gives this pronunciation:

espeak-ng -v tr -x "Celâ'led'din"
dZelalEdd'In

Would that be correct?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #875 Pronouncing words with multiple apostrophes in Turkish
By valdisvi:

It looks like attempt to implement something specific, but with bug in implementation. If we can't get info, what exactly should be done there, my proposal is to remove that part of undocumented logic to make it simpler.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #875 Pronouncing words with multiple apostrophes in Turkish
By jaacoppi:

Yes, since we don't speak Turkish we need advice from someone who does.

The simplest solution is to remove the line in tr_rules. It would make "Celâ'led'din" and "Celâled'din" identical. Is this correct?

espeak-ng -v tr -x "Celâ'led'din" dZelalEdd'In

speak-ng -v tr -x "Celâled'din" dZelalEdd'In

What other words coule be used for debugging?