Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6 #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By hozosch:

Wow! I seriously didn't expect that. That is just great! NVAccess should update ESpeak NG as soon as possible.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I hope NV Access updates espeak-ng soon as well. Once we get speechPlayer compiling with g++, we would also be able to get this running on Linux. To clarify the Windows function calls were removed from speechPlayer, but their are some G++ compiler errors that need to get fixed before we enable speechPlayer support on Linux.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By rhdunn:

This looks good as an initial pass to get the code integrated.

When the Linux support is done later on, it would be helpful to make this use C instead of C++ (as that is what the rest of the project is using) and make it more in line with the code style of the project.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

Agreed. It shouldn't be too hard to port speechPlayer to C. For now, I think we should merge this since it clearly works.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

speechPlayer now compiles with g++.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I added speechPlayer support to the Linux build system. I haven't had the chance to test it much, so please let me know if their is anything I need to change. Before testing you need to build and install the speechPlayer library. I have included a makefile to do this.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I just tested building espeak-NG with speechPlayer on Ubuntu MATE, and it actually works!

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I am attaching a windows build of this for anyone who wants to test this with NVDA. espeak-ng-klatt.zip

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By hozosch:

This version of speech player doesn't have access for all parameters, like the one in your addon has. Is there a reason for this?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I decided to have a fresh start with NV Accesses code, since they already had espeak-NG support. My version was based on eSpeak 1.48.15. If their is enough interest, I can bring some of these parameters back.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By hozosch:

Well I'd like to have those back, because my variant tom had a nice smoothness which isn't there if those parameters are missing. Also, I like the default klatt voices better how they were in your addon. But of course, that's just me.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

For now I want to merge NV Accesses original work, and I will probably add more speechPlayer parameters for voice files as a future pull request.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I updated the build instructions with information about speechPlayer. I also created a pull request on the official NVSpeechPlayer repo with my cross-platform changes to the library. If these changes get merged, I can remove the speechPlayer code from my branch and provide a link to the official NVSpeechPlayer repo in building.md.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By rhdunn:

The CI build is failing due to a byte order mark present in the building.md file. Can you remove that please.

Can you also have the main automake file build the speechplayer code when the speechplayer is enabled? That way the build logic is all in the same place. The autoconf checks for the C++ compiler should be guarded around when speechPlayer is enabled, so the espeak-ng library and executable can still be built with a C compiler.

Other than that, it looks good. It would be worth getting a version with speechPlayer building on travis/CI in addition to the current one without, so we have build/test coverage for when it is enabled.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I fixed the BOM. I am not sure how I should integrate the speechPlayer build process into the espeak-ng Autoconf system. Is it still a good idea to build and install speechPlayer as a shared library on the system then link it with libespeak-ng? If so, how exactly can I automate this with the current build system? I am still fairly new to Autoconf.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I decided to ad the speechPlayer build process into the espeak-ng autoconf system. For some reason I am getting a linker error that says error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

I got speak-ng to link correctly by compiling a dummy speak-ng.cpp file if building with speechPlayer.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #844 add SpeechPlayer as Klatt6
By datajake1999:

We now have espeak-ng with speechPlayer building on Travis CI!