Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: PR: Approx. 10,000 German loan words from DE-Wiktionary could be added to espeak-ng dictionary #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #814 PR: Approx. 10,000 German loan words from DE-Wiktionary could be added to espeak-ng dictionary
By jaacoppi:

See https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use/en for the Terms of use. I think attribution must be done properly but other than that there shouldn't be any problems.

How easy would it be to use the script for other languages?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #814 PR: Approx. 10,000 German loan words from DE-Wiktionary could be added to espeak-ng dictionary
By repodiac:

See https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use/en for the Terms of use. I think attribution must be done properly but other than that there shouldn't be any problems.

Well, I am not a lawyer into IP... but yes, it seems if you stick to "share alike" with the usage (i.e. to my understanding, nobody is for instance, allowed to make money with this data under a proprietary license...) it should be ok - what's espeak-ng's precise license on data usage btw.?

How easy would it be to use the script for other languages?

Generally speaking: it should be possible. I parse for specific strings in German coming from the markup and surroundings. In other languages, as I assume, there is the same markup but in another language!? But I don't know if other languages in Wiktionary also specify provenance of words (i.e. loan words)... but if so, then it should be straight forward.

The code is documented - but I can "guide" you if you want to use it also for another specific language, where to replace the respective strings probably. Everything from then onward stays the same.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #814 PR: Approx. 10,000 German loan words from DE-Wiktionary could be added to espeak-ng dictionary
By repodiac:

Docker is used for a "turn-key" solution - no manual download or anything, just hit the button when you want the most recent file update, so to speak. It is all source code so if you are tech-savvy enough you can simply run -- or invoke the method even -- the script for yourself ;-)

However, all this does not answer my initial request: Either you might include it into your build/deploy process (as the tutorial says... there are "Compile errors" sometimes) or you might link somewhere to the repo for anyone interested in enriching his German phoneme dictionary!?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #814 PR: Approx. 10,000 German loan words from DE-Wiktionary could be added to espeak-ng dictionary
By valdisvi:

It may be included as another utility in tools with separately called make tasks. Look at emoji script and corresponding Makefile.am entry to call it for building.