Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: Some wrong pronunciations of German words #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #809 Some wrong pronunciations of German words
By hozosch:

I'm able to fix the "stahl" and "strahl" problems, as well as Komet. In fact, Komet is something for the list file, but when it comes to compound words, there are many mispronunciations of compound words like this, and I'd love if there would be just a few, if not one, rule to eliminate them all, which there isn't. Speech synths are and will never be perfect. Saying that, I know synths like Nuance Vocalizer or Eloquence, which handle compound words much better than ESpeak in most cases. Their Algorithm is different though, I know that. Like this though, I'd love to have ESpeak pronounce only the most common words correctly, or words which users of ESpeak come across on a regular basis and which are pronounced wrongly. I need to make up my mind about this.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #809 Some wrong pronunciations of German words
By MilkKnight:

Hmmmm, those words ending in "i" are interesting. They have the wrong stress and pronunciation, but I think your main focus lies on getting rid of the ː symbol in the IPA output. The thing is, my feedback on ESpeak is from a listener's point of view, and not what the phoneme output is. Those "i" sounds are all correct for me, but I may fix the pronunciation of those words, because apart from the, in your view, unnecessary ː, there's also a wrong sounding pronunciation in general. Profi $1, and shouldn't the "ue" in Muesli be ü?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, you are right, it should be ü, sorry about that. We train our own TTS model based on the outputs of espeak-ng, and it's different on iː and i, the first one gives us a long tail sound.

BTW, sorry for be annoying, when do you think we can get a cool new commit? :)

Thanks!

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #809 Some wrong pronunciations of German words
By hozosch:

I'll certainly see about getting rid of the obvious pronunciation errors i spot, but I'm not sure if I can get that different i to work. Bare with me please, I'm not a professional phonologist. I acquired Espeak's phonetic spelling out of interest and I was always wanting to correct mispronounced words I come across very often.