Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: There needs to be a way to explicitly set stress only via rules to support unstressed languages and other non-European languages. #github

espeak-ng@groups.io Integration <espeak-ng@...>

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #793 There needs to be a way to explicitly set stress only via rules to support unstressed languages and other non-European languages.
By valdisvi:

Hm..., it works well for me:

espeak-ng -v chr -X "wị²dị²jị²yạ²ga."
Replace: ² > xc
Translate 'wịxcdịxcjịxcyạxcga'
  1	w        [w]

36	ị      [i]

22	xc       [2]

1	d        [d]

36	ị      [i]

22	xc       [2]

1	j        [dZ]

36	ị      [i]

22	xc       [2]

1	y        [j]

36	ạ      [0]

22	xc       [2]

1	g        [g]

1	a        [0:]
 22	a (_     [0~43]

w'i2d'i2dZ'i2j'02g'0~43_

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #793 There needs to be a way to explicitly set stress only via rules to support unstressed languages and other non-European languages.
By michael-conrad:

Doesn't look correct to me! It has all the syllables marked as stressed instead of non of them being marked for stress.

Hm..., it works well for me:

espeak-ng -v chr -X "wị²dị²jị²yạ²ga."

w'i2d'i2dZ'i2j'02g'0~43_

By valdisvi:

As stress is relative, for sound it is the same. Only difference is that phonetic output is longer/more cluttered.

By michael-conrad:

Cherokee no longer processes phoneme rules correctly.

This is due to the patch which added Cherokee to tr_languages.c applying of "L3".

It seems to be discarding the first phoneme and replacing the following tone marking with literal pronunciations?

Without patch in place:

~/espeak-ng/bin/espeak-ng -X -v chr 'ạ²ktạ²ha.'
Translate 'ạxcktạxcha'
 36	ạ      [0]

22	xc       [2]

1	k        [k]

1	t        [t]

36	ạ      [0]

22	xc       [2]

1	h        [h]

22	a (_     [0~43]

02kt'02h0~43

With patch in place:

~/espeak-ng/bin/espeak-ng -X -v chr 'ạ²ktạ²ha.'
Found: 'x' [E2ks]
Found: 'c' [si:]
Translate 'xcha'
 22	xc       [2]

1	h        [h]

22	a (_     [0~43]

,0~43_:(en),Eks_:s,i:(chr)kt'0~2h'0~43

By valdisvi:

You can adjust length of long vowels by redefining length of phoneme :, length of : is declared in phsource/phonemes file as 70 ms in phsource/ph_cherokee file. For mentioned example I wonder, why after replacement hị²go²wah²ta: becomes xcgoxcwahxcta with missing, but hi²go²wah²ta: becomes xcgoxcwahxcta as expected.