Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: phoneme definition to make usually voiced consonants voiceless if the next phoneme is a consonant #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #492 phoneme definition to make usually voiced consonants voiceless if the next phoneme is a consonant
By valdisvi:

@hozosch, it will not look very clean and short, but you can make switch from voiced to voiceless consonant with rules in ph_german file. E.g. it is already done to to switch b to p if following is l2:

phoneme b
  vcd blb stp
  voicingswitch p
  IF nextPh(l2) THEN
    ChangePhoneme(p)
  ENDIF

You need to add similar condition statements for other phonemes and phonemes which may follow them.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #492 phoneme definition to make usually voiced consonants voiceless if the next phoneme is a consonant
By hozosch:

This sounds more like something I can do, but what I mean is this: if there is a break defined, words ending in a voiced consonant are not unvoiced, like they should be. Can this be fixed somehow?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #492 phoneme definition to make usually voiced consonants voiceless if the next phoneme is a consonant
By valdisvi:

Yes, there is option IF nextPh(isPause) ....

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #492 phoneme definition to make usually voiced consonants voiceless if the next phoneme is a consonant
By hozosch:

Will this affect $brk as well?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #492 phoneme definition to make usually voiced consonants voiceless if the next phoneme is a consonant
By valdisvi:

Rules in ph_... file are applied when text is already converted to the chain of phonemes to be synthesized, therefore, I think, "pause" in that stage is actually any silence between phonemes (sounds).