Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: Issue with o sounds in French language #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #711 Issue with o sounds in French language
By valdisvi:

Pronunciation for รด was changed twice already:

  1. for issue #133 fixed in 43562df397966e99802491e861d9916a7253b660
  2. for issue #702 fixed in 8b41079a1b49e5505af7f57f2147b731a280bb7b

Do you want to change current simply rule to O or something else?

Pronunciation rules for o are quite complicated and for me it is hard to say, how to categorize them properly. One solution for note/notes, vote/votes, code/codes, robe/robes, protocole/protocoles could be following rule:.

.group o
C) o (CA_ O // preceding consonant, o, followed by consonant, vowel at the end of word as O
C) o (CAs_ O // preceding consonant, o, followed by consonant and vowel and s at the end of word as O

Maybe instead of C or A more specific group can be used e.g. L01..L05 or Y.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #711 Issue with o sounds in French language
By DataTriny:

Hi @valdisvi, The changes you made in #702 are right.

For notre/votre, I am almost certain that the rule found on line 1027 (o (tr O // votre) should be deleted, however I am not sure about the following two definitions in fr_list:

notre	$u $nounf
votre	$u $nounf

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #711 Issue with o sounds in French language
By valdisvi:

notre $u $nounf means word is unstressed, and next word will be probably noun. See description of flags. These flags then can be used for decision of following word in pre or post rules. What about my proposal for note/notes, vote/votes etc?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #711 Issue with o sounds in French language
By DataTriny:

Hi @valdisvi ,

After doing some testing, here is what I can tell about the pronounciation of the letter "o":

  • if a word ends with an "o" followed by one of the phonemes "b", "d", "f", "g", "k", "l", "n", "p", "r", "S", "t", "v" or "Z", then it should be pronounced as "'O",
  • if a word ends with an "o" or if "o" is followed by the phonemes "m", "z" or a combination of letters that are not pronounced, then it should be "'o".

I insist on the fact that multiple combination of letters can produce the same phoneme (e.g. "choc", "coque", "coques" will all produce the phoneme "k").