Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: [French] cerf should be pronounced sεʁ and not sεʁf #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #163 [French] cerf should be pronounced sεʁ and not sεʁf
By Shallowmallow:

Sorry I didn't answer you. 2. Can it be described as common rule for similar set of words?
Yes. In nerf you don't pronounce the "f". (serf is the exception where you pronounce the "f") But, for words that are shorts for other words, like "perf" for performance you pronounce the "f".

so, cerf and nerf, you don't pronounce te "f" in perf and serf , you do. I cannot thing of other words that end with "erf"

3 Shouldn't final f actually be pronounced as quiet h (e.g. espeak-ng -vfr "[[s'Erh.]]" I'm unable to tell you

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #163 [French] cerf should be pronounced sεʁ and not sεʁf
By ValdisVitolins:

Yes, "silent h" at the end was unnecessary. Now espeauk-ng says: espeak-ng -x -vfr "Cerf, entre-nerf, ner, serf." s'Er A~trn'Er n'Er s'Er where r is (meant to be) ʁ.