[espeak-ng:master] new issue: Licensing question regarding linking #github

espeak-ng@groups.io Integration <espeak-ng@...>

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by iUltimateLP:
#908 Licensing question regarding linking

Hey!

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the fantastic work with this repo, it's brilliant and super nice to use!

I am currently working on a adventure puzzle game based on Unreal Engine 4, and I'm currently implementing robots into the game, which can speak. For the robot voice, I'd love to use espeak-ng, as it provides the best interface and the smallest file size, which makes it super cool to use for a video game. Also it's capability to have it asynchronously generate data and return it to a callback makes it super nice to integrate into an existing audio system.

The only problem currently is licensing. espeak-ng is released under the GPL-v3 license, which states that if I'm using a library like espeak-ng, I need to open up the source code of the project containing it as well. Since the game is a commercial project, and also the developers of the Unreal Engine forbid this, I can't explicitly use it. This also applies to linking against the library, both statically and dynamically.

I know that there are good reasons to retain the safety GPL offers, but would it be possible to acquire a GPL Linking Exception (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL_linking_exception)?

That way, GPL could be kept, but it'd allow developers in situations like this to link against the library without the need to open up the whole project. Obviously, credit, and potential forks of the library, containing changes needed, would still be made available for the public, and I'd love to put in the game's credits that I proudly use espeak-ng.

Let me know what you think and whether that is a possibility! Cheers!