Topics

Can I uninstall the voices I don't need from my android

Hi all.
As the subject says, I was wondering if it is possible to uninstall espeak voices from our device and keep only the voices we really need.

For my situation, I only need one voice on my device which is the Greek one.
The greek voice is multilingual. It can speak Greek and English without having to switch voices.

I don't really need all the other voices.
I know they don't take up space, but some apps which are self voicing, they don't respect the voice I chose and they change the espeak language.
If Greek was the only voice installed, espeak would work as expected without any issues.

On my phone, the system language is UK English, but the espeak language is set to Greek, but some apps insist to change my language of choice.

Nokia 6.1 with android 10. The July security patch is installed.
Thanks
Nikos

Valdis Vitolins

Do you really need this?
In difference with other speech engines, which are based on recorded voice, data files in espeak-ng are very small.
Voice data files in espeak-ng-data folder take 12MB, but phoneme definitions (actual sounds) take 16MB.
You can remove unneeded voice files from espeak-ng-data files, but cleaning up phonemes may be harder, because the same phoneme (sound) may be used in many languages.

Hi.
As I said space is not the issue but the fact that some apps insist of changing the espeak language to something else from the voice I chose which is Greek.

For example lazarillo gps keeps changing the espeak voice to UK English.

Also in gmail when the language tag is not correct in the emails, the language keeps changing which makes emails written in Greek unreadable.

Unfortunately there are many examples which I want the espeak voice to be Greek only but it changes to something else which I don't need.

I know it is impressive to have 78 different language without taking much space, but if we will never need all those languages then what's the point?

I know my situation is strange because I am using a different espeak language than the system language on my phone, but espeak should be able to respect my language of choice.
Nikos

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 12:25, Valdis Vitolins via groups.io <valdis.vitolins=odo.lv@groups.io> wrote:
Do you really need this?
In difference with other speech engines, which are based on recorded voice, data files in espeak-ng are very small.
Voice data files in espeak-ng-data folder take 12MB, but phoneme definitions (actual sounds) take 16MB.
You can remove unneeded voice files from espeak-ng-data files, but cleaning up phonemes may be harder, because the same phoneme (sound) may be used in many languages.

David Hilton

On my sansung galaxy, the language selector in talkback has an error, where it switches back to the UI language after typing using the defalt keyboard for the UI language.. this could bee affecting espeak. also, if you use the greek voice it will speak the numerals [which are wrighten in the arabic script] in greek, meaning that the numbers will never be spoken in english if you are ownley using the greek voic.

Stefan Moisei

This is not the solution. You can delete the data for other languages, only if you are rooted, but espeak won’t know this and will try to use them
The solution is having a checkbox like eloquence, force language.

[...]

Knowledge of available voices for easpeak-ng comes from configuratoin files in espeak-ng-data.