espeak_Initialize(AUDIO_OUTPUT_PLAYBACK, 0, NULL, 0);
    espeak_Synth(text, strlen(text) +1, 1, POS_CHARACTER, 0, espeakCHARS_AUTO,
                 NULL, NULL);
    espeak_Synchronize();
}
int main() {
    say("hello there");

}

Here, the position parameter being passed is 1, with position_type set as POS_CHARACTER. Thus I'd expect to hear "ello there", but instead it behaves exactly like POS_WORD.

With POS_WORD and POS_SENTENCE, the number seems to be 1-indexed, as it only skips the first word/sentence if the position parameter is set to 2. This doesn't appear to be documented anywhere.

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by dieggsy:
#861 Position parameter of espeak_Synth doesn't work properly

As a minimal example:

#include <string.h>
#include <espeak-ng/espeak_ng.h>

static void say(char *text) {
    espeak_Initialize(AUDIO_OUTPUT_PLAYBACK, 0, NULL, 0);
    espeak_Synth(text, strlen(text) +1, 1, POS_CHARACTER, 0, espeakCHARS_AUTO,
                 NULL, NULL);
    espeak_Synchronize();
}
int main() {
    say("hello there");

}

Here, the position parameter being passed is 1, with position_type set as POS_CHARACTER. Thus I'd expect to hear "ello there", but instead it behaves exactly like POS_WORD.

With POS_WORD and POS_SENTENCE, the number seems to be 1-indexed, as it only skips the first word/sentence if the position parameter is set to 2. This doesn't appear to be documented anywhere.

espeak-ng@groups.io Integration <espeak-ng@...>

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by sthibaul:
#859 Replacement character (U+FFFD) completely disturbs speak

Hello,

With espeak-ng 1.50, for instance when running

echo "hého hého" | espeak-ng -v fr --stdin

I get the same word spoken twice (with the 'é' properly spoken). But when running

echo "hého � hého" | espeak-ng -v fr --stdin

i.e. with a replacement character (U+FFFD) between the two words, the second word gets completely mangled, it looks like espeak-ng is suddently changing the way it decodes non-ascii characters

Such replacement character is a relatively common thing to encounter, and when properly encoded in utf-8 as exampled above, is not a sign that character decoding should change.

Hello,

I get the same word spoken twice (with the 'é' properly spoken). But when running

i.e. with a replacement character (U+FFFD) between the two words, the second word gets completely mangled, it looks like espeak-ng is suddenly changing the way it decodes non-ascii characters

Such replacement characterhttps://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/issues/859 is a relatively common thing to encounter, and when properly encoded in utf-8 as exampled above, is not a sign that character decoding should change.

Hello,

i.e. with a replacement character (U+FFFD) between the two words, the second word gets completely mangled, it looks like espeak-ng is suddenly changing the way it decodes non-ascii characters

Such replacement character is a relatively common thing to encounter, and when properly encoded in utf-8 as exampled above, is not a sign that character decoding should change.