[espeak-ng:master] reported: Applied Klatt fixes from NV Access and added Edward variant. #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #838 Applied Klatt fixes from NV Access and added Edward variant.
By datajake1999:

This is a more portable solution since speechPlayer depends on some Windows things. I think this will make a lot of people happy since it sounds better than the older Klatt code, and many people complained about the distorted audio. As a side note, I find it interesting that Klatt3 can sound different depending on how the code is built. I used eSpeak 1.48.15 to generate these samples when I was investigating these fixes several months ago. I think I used a different version of visual studio to build the library I used to demonstrate the fixes, so that is why the audio demonstrating the fix for klatt3 sounds distorted while the old version sounds less distorted. I am currently testing these fixes with NVDA, and klatt3 doesn't distort.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #838 Applied Klatt fixes from NV Access and added Edward variant.
By hozosch:

Hmmm, this doesn't sound quite like speech player in espeak, but yes, it does sound better.

I found this code at https://bitbucket.org/nvaccess/espeak/src/klatt5/ and ported it to eSpeak NG. I also added the Edward variant. These fixes make Klatt voices sound less distorted and adds a new Klatt5 voice. I am attaching an archive of samples comparing the old and new code. klatt_samples.zip