By valdisvi:

Thanks for contribution! I merged it as one large (squashed) commit 1af7ec6.

[espeak-ng/espeak-ng] Pull request closed by valdisvi:

#748 Add initial support for Cherokee.

Add initial support for Western Cherokee using Cherokee English Dictionary DF phonetics.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #750 problem with Hebrew language
By Liranbz:

Hi @BenTalagan, Thank you for your answer! I installed espeak-ng by: sudo apt install espeak-ng

for the command : espeak-ng --voicesI get:

liran@ubuntu:~$ espeak-ng --voices Pty Language Age/Gender VoiceName File Other Languages 5 af --/M Afrikaans gmw/af
5 am --/M Amharic sem/am
5 an --/M Aragonese roa/an
5 ar --/M Arabic sem/ar
5 as --/M Assamese inc/as
5 az --/M Azerbaijani trk/az
5 ba --/M Bashkir trk/ba
5 bg --/M Bulgarian zls/bg
5 bn --/M Bengali inc/bn
5 bpy --/M BishnupriyaManipuri inc/bpy
5 bs --/M Bosnian zls/bs
5 ca --/M Catalan roa/ca
5 cmn --/M Chinese
(Mandarin) sit/cmn (zh-cmn 5)(zh 5) 5 cs --/M Czech zlw/cs
5 cy --/M Welsh cel/cy
5 da --/M Danish gmq/da
5 de --/M German gmw/de
5 el --/M Greek grk/el
5 en-029 --/M English(Caribbean) gmw/en-029 (en 10) 2 en-gb --/M English(GreatBritain) gmw/en (en 2) 5 en-gb-scotland --/M English(Scotland) gmw/en-GB-scotland (en 4) 5 en-gb-x-gbclan --/M English(Lancaster) gmw/en-GB-x-gbclan (en-gb 3)(en 5) 5 en-gb-x-gbcwmd --/M English(WestMidlands) gmw/en-GB-x-gbcwmd (en-gb 9)(en 9) 5 en-gb-x-rp --/M English(ReceivedPronunciation) gmw/en-GB-x-rp (en-gb 4)(en 5) 2 en-us --/M English(America) gmw/en-US (en 3) 5 eo --/M Esperanto art/eo
5 es --/M Spanish(Spain) roa/es
5 es-419 --/M Spanish
(LatinAmerica) roa/es-419 (es-mx 6)(es 6) 5 et --/M Estonian urj/et
5 eu --/M Basque eu
5 fa --/M Persian ira/fa
5 fa-latn --/M Persian
(Pinglish) ira/fa-Latn
5 fi --/M Finnish urj/fi
5 fr-be --/M French(Belgium) roa/fr-BE (fr 8) 5 fr-ch --/M French(Switzerland) roa/fr-CH (fr 8) 5 fr-fr --/M French(France) roa/fr (fr 5) 5 ga --/M Gaelic(Irish) cel/ga
5 gd --/M Gaelic(Scottish) cel/gd
5 gn --/M Guarani sai/gn
5 grc --/M Greek
(Ancient) grk/grc
5 gu --/M Gujarati inc/gu
5 hak --/M Hakka_Chinese sit/hak
5 hi --/M Hindi inc/hi
5 hr --/M Croatian zls/hr (hbs 5) 5 ht --/M HaitianCreole roa/ht
5 hu --/M Hungarian urj/hu
5 hy --/M Armenian
(EastArmenia) ine/hy (hy-arevela 5) 5 hyw --/M Armenian(West_Armenia) ine/hyw (hy-arevmda 5)(hy 8) 5 ia --/M Interlingua art/ia
5 id --/M Indonesian poz/id
5 is --/M Icelandic gmq/is
5 it --/M Italian roa/it
5 ja --/M Japanese jpx/ja
5 jbo --/M Lojban art/jbo
5 ka --/M Georgian ccs/ka
5 kk --/M Kazakh trk/kk
5 kl --/M Greenlandic esx/kl
5 kn --/M Kannada dra/kn
5 ko --/M Korean ko
5 kok --/M Konkani inc/kok
5 ku --/M Kurdish ira/ku
5 ky --/M Kyrgyz trk/ky
5 la --/M Latin itc/la
5 lfn --/M Lingua_FrancaNova art/lfn
5 lt --/M Lithuanian bat/lt
5 lv --/M Latvian bat/lv
5 mi --/M Māori poz/mi
5 mk --/M Macedonian zls/mk
5 ml --/M Malayalam dra/ml
5 mr --/M Marathi inc/mr
5 ms --/M Malay poz/ms
5 mt --/M Maltese sem/mt
5 my --/M Myanmar
(Burmese) sit/my
5 nb --/M NorwegianBokmål gmq/nb (no 5) 5 nci --/M Nahuatl(Classical) azc/nci
5 ne --/M Nepali inc/ne
5 nl --/M Dutch gmw/nl
5 om --/M Oromo cus/om
5 or --/M Oriya inc/or
5 pa --/M Punjabi inc/pa
5 pap --/M Papiamento roa/pap
5 pl --/M Polish zlw/pl
5 pt --/M Portuguese(Portugal) roa/pt (pt-pt 5) 5 pt-br --/M Portuguese(Brazil) roa/pt-BR (pt 6) 5 py --/M Pyash art/py
5 quc --/M K'iche' myn/quc
5 ro --/M Romanian roa/ro
5 ru --/M Russian zle/ru
2 ru-lv --/M Russian(Latvia) zle/ru-LV
5 sd --/M Sindhi inc/sd
5 shn --/M Shan
(TaiYai) tai/shn
5 si --/M Sinhala inc/si
5 sk --/M Slovak zlw/sk
5 sl --/M Slovenian zls/sl
5 sq --/M Albanian ine/sq
5 sr --/M Serbian zls/sr
5 sv --/M Swedish gmq/sv
5 sw --/M Swahili bnt/sw
5 ta --/M Tamil dra/ta
5 te --/M Telugu dra/te
5 tn --/M Setswana bnt/tn
5 tr --/M Turkish trk/tr
5 tt --/M Tatar trk/tt
5 ur --/M Urdu inc/ur
5 uz --/M Uzbek trk/uz
5 vi --/M Vietnamese
(Northern) aav/vi
5 vi-vn-x-central --/M Vietnamese(Central) aav/vi-VN-x-central
5 vi-vn-x-south --/M Vietnamese
(Southern) aav/vi-VN-x-south
5 yue --/M Chinese_(Cantonese) sit/yue (zh-yue 5)(zh 8)

Version: espeak-ng --version eSpeak NG text-to-speech: 1.50 Data at: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/espeak-ng-data

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #750 problem with Hebrew language
By BenTalagan:

Hi, @Liranbz . Your installation seems correct ; but as @valdisvi remarked, since hebrew was added very recently, you need to compile espeak-ng by yourself with the latest version of the source code or use the on-line version :)

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #749 singing synthesis
By tplaten:

There is no UTAU requirement, any UTAU compatible synth, such as Cadencii or Utsu can be used for singing synthesis.

[espeak-ng/espeak-ng] Pull request updated by tplaten:

#749 singing synthesis

I've written a patch for eSpeak-NG which allows singing synthesis using an external program.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #749 singing synthesis
By tplaten:

To test singing synthesis one has to specify the frequency or midi note number of the note to be sung. The commands to control an external program are written to stdout.

1 New Commit:

[espeak-ng:master] By BenTalagan <BenTalagan@...>:
c96a0e409d5b: Fixing sequences of ? and !

Modified: src/libespeak-ng/readclause.c

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #747 Fixing sequences of ? and !
By rhdunn:

Looks good. I've used cherry pick to combine and merge the commits as requested. Thanks.

[espeak-ng/espeak-ng] Pull request closed by rhdunn:

#747 Fixing sequences of ? and !

Hi, this is an attempt to fix #583. This specifically targets sequences of ? and ! (like ?!?!!!,???, !!!, etc) and treats the whole sequence as its first char only.

@rhdunn may review and merge this pull request. But I think, that instead of patching this very complicated logic in pure C, we should refactor espeak-ng that it uses some external/rewritten text tokenization with configuration files (like patterns for dates, phone numbers, abbreviations etc.). The biggest issue I see for Latvian, Arabic and other languages is, that all tokenization rules in espeak-ng are based only around current cursor/character, but tokenization would be much easier to handle, if it would work on the whole sentence (clause in espeak-ng) with rules written in configuration files with something like regular expressions. See e.g. issues #369, #368, #199, #366.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #747 Fixing sequences of ? and !
By valdisvi:

@rhdunn may review and merge this pull request. But I think, that instead of patching this very complicated logic in pure C, we should refactor espeak-ng that it uses some external/rewritten text tokenization with configuration files (like patterns for dates, phone numbers, abbreviations etc.). The biggest issue I see for Latvian, Arabic and other languages is, that espeak-ng is not cleanly handling unicode, and its tokenization rules are based only around current cursor/character. Though tokenization would be much easier to handle, if it would work on the whole sentence (clause in espeak-ng) with rules written in configuration files with something like regular expressions. See e.g. issues #369, #368, #199, #366.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #746 Fixing handling of sequence .' in english
By BenTalagan:

I've amended the PR because it seems I have forgotten to hack other functions regarding that matter. The clause logic is really intricate ...

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #746 Fixing handling of sequence .' in english
By BenTalagan:

I've amended the PR because it seems I had forgotten to hack other functions regarding that matter. The clause logic is really intricate ...

[espeak-ng/espeak-ng] Pull request opened by BenTalagan:

#746 Fixing handling of sequence .' in english

Hello, this is kind of a bug I've referenced here : #741 .

The handling of the sequence .'does not seem totally optimal to me, since a lot of people use the apostrophe character as a simple quote ; espeak considers that this sequence is an acronym followed by a genitive (ex: u.s.a.'s) and thus prevents the last dot from being used as a clause end, which is annoying in a quoted context : He said 'I am back.' and left' would trigger the pronunciation ofdotafterback`.

But this can be easily disambiguated if testing the character after the apostrophe.

[espeak-ng/espeak-ng] Pull request updated by BenTalagan:

#746 Fixing handling of sequence .' in english

Hello, this is kind of a bug I've referenced here : #741 .

The handling of the sequence .'does not seem totally optimal to me, since a lot of people use the apostrophe character as a simple quote ; espeak considers that this sequence is an acronym followed by a genitive (ex: u.s.a.'s) and thus prevents the last dot from being used as a clause end, which is annoying in a quoted context : He said 'I am back.' and left would trigger the pronunciation of dot after back.

But this can be easily disambiguated if testing the character after the apostrophe.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #741 Spurious punctuation pronunciation
By BenTalagan:

After investigation the case I've commented on seems a bit different and specifically related to the handling of simple quotes (see PR #746). However, the initial issue might be related to the logic of ReadClause too - no proof yet :).

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #741 Spurious punctuation pronunciation
By BenTalagan:

Getting similar results on punctuation in other contexts, espeak tends to overspell punctuation marks. For example within simple quotes :

espeak-ng -v en " He said 'hello, I'm back.' and left."

Will trigger the pronunciation of dot. Curiously, this will trigger the pronunciation of exclamation if we use ! instead of . but it won't with ?. This does not happen with double quotes.

Might be related to #583 too.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #741 Spurious punctuation pronunciation
By BenTalagan:

Getting similar results on punctuation in other contexts, espeak has a slight tendency to overspell punctuation marks :) For example within simple quotes :