Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô" #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #702 In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô"
By valdisvi:

I made these changes. Is this ok?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #702 In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô"
By alexarnaud:

After thinking more, I'm not so sure. Can we hear the difference?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #702 In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô"
By alexarnaud:

The right one is long o, yes.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #702 In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô"
By valdisvi:

Should I leave just single rule e.g. ô o: (long o), or ô o (short o) for ô?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #702 In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô"
By sthibaul:

@alexarnaud : I would say that "^" precisely makes o always be pronounced like a simple "o" (and not like in "grotte")

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #702 In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô"
By DataTriny:

For me, the two later rules in the ô group are wrong because neither "rôt" nor "cône" are pronounced correctly. Therefore I would suggest removing them.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #702 In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô"
By valdisvi:

There is specific rule line 1063 in fr_rules file to spell ..ôt as ..O~ in difference of ..ot which is spelled as ..o line 949. Solutions may be: 1. Removing that rule (then will be spelled as ..o:, coming from default pronunciation of ô in line 1062. 2. Changing existing rule to ô) t_ o to spell ..ôt as o. 3. Changing existing rule to r) ô (t_ for ..rôt. Or should it be even more specific?

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #702 In French: bad pronunciation of the letter "ô"
By DataTriny:

Hello, I encountered a similar issue with the word "dépôt". Here is how it is currently translated: dep'O~ And here is how it should be translated: dep'o

I would also like to help fixing this and others that I have found, but I can't get my head around the rule/list files... Thanks.