[espeak-ng:master] reported: Improve the Arabic support #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #186 Improve the Arabic support
By csisc:

I thank Vrdhn0 for his absolutely useful interface available in http://vardhan.net3000/. I used it to evaluate the eSpeakNG Arabic support. After my discussion with @linuxscout, I have tried to find a paper that explains Standard Arabic phonology. I found the official International Phonetic Association description written in 1990 in https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-the-international-phonetic-association/article/div-classtitlearabicdiv/D54098F7BBE7821861A80617B872FA24.

  • I found that you are right concerning the pronunciation of ج. In fact, it is pronounced as [d͡ʒ].
  • ض is pronounced as [dˤ].
  • The layout does not support Shaddah
  • ع is pronounced as [ʕ]

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #186 Improve the Arabic support
By csisc:

Concerning short vowels, they are not centralized as [e] and [o] according to the eSpeak Arabic support. We can fix this later.