Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: Redesign the phonindex binary format. #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #207 Redesign the phonindex binary format.
By vrdhn:

ok. I understand the scope of this issue.

There is a C flat buffer impl ( https://github.com/dvidelabs/flatcc ) , and the advantages of making single file + flatbuf would have been to enable using memory mapped files ( mmap / CreateFileMapping ) Perhaps that should be a seperate side project, as the pros/cons will have to evaluated properly

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #207 Redesign the phonindex binary format.
By rhdunn:

This is for the C code at the core of espeak-ng, so I can't use the Android protocol/flat buffers. Even so, the current model is generally ok. This is about cleaning up the exising phonindex format (e.g. make the opcode atomic to allow a switch to be used on it, not the existing complex unpacking logic). That opcode change will also make it easier to support additional instructions.

I did have some ideas about creating an API to write the data. I have removed that from this issue, as I want to keep this focused on the design of phonindex. This redesign is more a refinement of the existing opcode + data model, mainly to make the reading and writing more consistent (e.g. sharing constants/values).

I'm not planning on merging the files at the moment. I may do so in the future, but this issue is just about phonindex.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #207 Redesign the phonindex binary format.
By vrdhn:

Are you planning to use something like proto-buffer / flat-buffers for this ? Also, are you planning to to merge several of the generated files in a single file ?