Topics

[espeak-ng:master] reported: Ordinal number suffixes and their incorrect number prefixes mix to produce unexpected behavior #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #96 Ordinal number suffixes and their incorrect number prefixes mix to produce unexpected behavior
By rhdunn:

This is due to the way espeak handles ordinals. It splits them into the number and (st|nd|rd|th) part. That is, the 1 in 1st is pronounced as fir. The way I would like to implement this in espeak-ng is to use the words for the ordinals. That is, 1st should map to the word first, not f'3:st.

The motivation behind this is to make it easier to support accent variations and to be consistent across the numeric version and the version using words (e.g. 14 and fourteen).

The question is how to handle things like 3st. My thinking is to use:

Word Pronunciation
3rd third
3st three s t
3 st three stone

with the last one being handled by the $units marker proposed in issue #115.