eSpeak optimizations for Android 6.0

Matěj Plch <plchterminator@...>

Dear users and developers,
I am very happy, that this discussion group was established and the next generation of eSpeak will come in near future!
Can you highlight some important changes, which we can expect?
I am highly interested in the port for Android operating system.
In this context, I would like to discuss, if is possible to make some engine optimizations, because I register quite often crashes of latest available version 1.48.15 on Android Marshmallow.
I tested it on many devices with this OS and the crashing problem is noticeable especialy during fast typing on Google Keyboard or sometimes, when I want to open several apps quickly.
I posted many crashing reports directly from the devices, but do not know, if developers catched them.
Does someone else has the same experience here?
I can give the name of for example: Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) and Xiaomi Redmi 3S.
Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Matej

Reece H. Dunn

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 02:39 am, Matěj Plch wrote:

Dear users and developers,
I am very happy, that this discussion group was established and the next
generation of eSpeak will come in near future!
Can you highlight some important changes, which we can expect?

The changes are described in the changelog (https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md).

My main focus so far has been:

1.  Clean up the build process.

2.  Simplify porting to other systems (BSD, Mac, Windows).

3.  Clean up the codebase to make it easier to maintain.

4.  Make the code more robust and secure.

I am highly interested in the port for Android operating system.
In this context, I would like to discuss, if is possible to make some
engine optimizations, because I register quite often crashes of latest
available version 1.48.15 on Android Marshmallow.

It is difficult to know where the crash is occurring and why. The focus on security and stability above should help reduce/remove the number of crashes on Android.

I tested it on many devices with this OS and the crashing problem is
noticeable especialy during fast typing on Google Keyboard or sometimes,
when I want to open several apps quickly.
I posted many crashing reports directly from the devices, but do not
know, if developers catched them.

I can see them, but as I have said, it is difficult to know what the cause of the crash is. The work I have done already should help, but there is still more to fix and improve.

I am working on merging the android code into the main branch, so that the android code will be usable from the main releases instead of requiring the android branch to be updated. This should make it easier to perform new Android releases in the future.

Kind regards,

Reece Dunn

Matěj Plch <plchterminator@...>

Okay, Reece, thanks for your answer.
I totaly understand.
Regards,
Matej

Dne 31.12.2016 v 11:50 Reece H. Dunn napsal(a):

[...]

Mario Perčinić <mario.percinic@...>

Hi Matej.

Have you tried using port of espeak for android called eSpeak TTS Engine from RedZoc apk. On his page he says that he optimised espeak for android 6 and later.

Mario

--
Mario Percinic
Accessibility consultant

Reece H. Dunn

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 04:50 am, Mario Perčinić wrote:

Hi Matej.

Have you tried using port of espeak for android called eSpeak TTS Engine
from RedZoc apk. On his page he says that he optimised espeak for
android 6 and later.

They have not released the source code for their version of eSpeak for Android, so it is not clear what changes RedZoc have made and which are from the eSpeak for Android port. It is likely that they have not changed the eSpeak code itself where the crashes are happening, just the Android side.

Kind regards,

Reece H. Dunn

Matěj Plch <plchterminator@...>

Hi Mario,
I know about this port of eSpeak, but there is some in-app
advertisement, so I do not like this port.
It is established on the existing code and I found the crashes too.
Sincerely,
Matej

Dne 31.12.2016 v 13:49 Mario Perčinić napsal(a):
[...]

Hi guys.

Sorry i was just trying to help. Btw i have that version installed on my current phone and i don't see any advertisements which you mentioned over here. Do you know exactly when or in which situations they pop up?

Mario

On 12/31/2016 1:57 PM, Matěj Plch wrote:
[...]

I do not have instaled this port now, but when I tried it, they popped up, when the main user interface of the app was opened.
Regards,
Matej