Topics

Updated Wikipedia article about eSpeakNG

Valdis Vitolins

After loosing battle with bureaucratic bots and moderators with two
Wikipedia articles: eSpeak and eSpeakNG,

I renamed original eSpeak article to eSpeakNG and updated it, to
reflect relevant information about eSpeakNG project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESpeakNG

Reviews and updates are welcome.

Valdis

turkiabdelwaheb@...

Dear Sir,

I did not tell you that I am one of the 2000 most contributing users in the English Wikipedia. I am a founding member of Wikimedia TN, Wikipedia Library, WikiProject Maghrebi Arabic, and Wikimedia Maghreb. My entries was featured four times in the main page of English Wikipedia. I must tell you that the work lacks of references. It includes some misleading information. For example, I ask if Mohamed and Brazil are languages. As well, blog posts are unfortunately not considered as a trustworthy reference by the editors of Wikipédia. It can be removed by one week if someone does not add references to it. Please send me references (journal items, researches...) about eSpeak. I will edit the work. I congratulate you for the work and I invite you to include Arabic dialects to it in the next years. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2017.

Yours Sincerely,

Houcemeddine Turki

After loosing battle with bureaucratic bots and moderators with two
Wikipedia articles: eSpeak and eSpeakNG,

I renamed original eSpeak article to eSpeakNG and updated it, to
reflect relevant information about eSpeakNG project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESpeakNG

Reviews and updates are welcome.

Valdis

Valdis Vitolins

Hello, Houcemeddine!

I've corrected list of supported languages by eSpeakNG, because previously I used list of supported voices, which are related to languages, but
sometimes are not the same.

I have no idea where we can get more prominent sources for references.
All I can say is that current page has some more references than before, so, if quality criteria are not risen much higher, it should pass.

All the best from me too.

Valdis

[...]

abdelwaheb turki <turkiabdelwaheb@...>

Dear Sir,

I thank you for your answer. It is better now. It can pass. I will add references to it.

Yours Sincerely,

Houcemeddine Turki

After loosing battle with bureaucratic bots and moderators with two
Wikipedia articles: eSpeak and eSpeakNG,

I renamed original eSpeak article to eSpeakNG and updated it, to
reflect relevant information about eSpeakNG project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESpeakNG

Reviews and updates are welcome.

Valdis

abdelwaheb turki <turkiabdelwaheb@...>

Dear Sir,

I adjusted the list of languages. However, I did not found a reference from several languages. As well, I found references for supported languages that you did not include in the list. So, please verify this part before I can add references to the other parts of the work. As well, please expand the other parts by including further details about the history and the principles of eSpeakNG.

Yours Sincerely,

Houcemeddine Turki

I thank you for your answer. It is better now. It can pass. I will add references to it.

Yours Sincerely,

Houcemeddine Turki

After loosing battle with bureaucratic bots and moderators with two
Wikipedia articles: eSpeak and eSpeakNG,

I renamed original eSpeak article to eSpeakNG and updated it, to
reflect relevant information about eSpeakNG project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESpeakNG

Reviews and updates are welcome.

Valdis

Valdis Vitolins

I got list of languages, at first with:

espeak-ng --voices|grep -vE "Language"|awk '{print $2" "$4}'|sort -u

but, to filer out just dialects etc., I used following Bash script in root folder of the eSpeakNG project:

#!/bin/bash
cd dictsource
list=$(ls -1 *_rules|cut -d'_' -f1)
cd ..
for i in $list; do
  langfile=$(find espeak-ng-data -name $i)
  if [ -n "$langfile" ]; then
    lang=$(cat $langfile|grep name|tr "\-+" "  "| cut -d' ' -f2)
    echo $i $lang
  fi
done

Can't we use reference to the source, e.g.: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/tree/master/dictsource?

Reece, to prove eSpeakNG's capabilities, maybe we need to add list of supported languages for eSpeakNG,

I don't know about any sources of eSpeak history, but I could add some more detailed explanation about principles later.

[...]

Reece H. Dunn

There is http://reecedunn.co.uk/espeak-for-android for my Android port, but that is not an up-to-date list. I will add the list of supported languages to the README file.

I don't know about any sources of eSpeak history, but I could add some more detailed explanation about principles later.

I am currently writing the history section of the Wikipedia article :).

Kind redards,

Reece

abdelwaheb turki <turkiabdelwaheb@...>

Dear Sir,

I thank you for your answer. The work is better. The history part is well written now by Mr. Reece. Sure, you can add a list of supported languages with their ISO 639-3 codes to the official page of eSpeakNG and use it as a reference for languages part in Wikipedia. This will be better than picking the languages from many references.  For the features and principles parts, you can use research papers like https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Anto_Nugroho/publication/261244975_Evaluation_of_text-to-speech_synthesizer_for_Indonesian_language_using_semantically_unpredictable_sentences_test_IndoTTS_eSpeak_and_google_translate_TTS/links/0deec5340bc0bc425c000000.pdf and http://dare.uva.nl/cgi/arno/show.cgi?fid=494975... If there is any problem, please write me and I will solve the problem. However, I think that the work will be kept in Wikipedia.

Yours Sincerely,

Houcemeddine Turki

[...]

espeak.sourceforge.net
Help Needed Many of these are just experimental attempts at these languages, produced after a quick reading of the corresponding article on wikipedia.org.

There is http://reecedunn.co.uk/espeak-for-android for my Android port, but that is not an up-to-date list. I will add the list of supported languages to the README file.

reecedunn.co.uk
The eSpeak for Android program is a port of the eSpeak Text-to-Speech synthesiser to Android, supporting 79 languages and accents. This port of eSpeak is built on the ...

I don't know about any sources of eSpeak history, but I could add some more detailed explanation about principles later.

I am currently writing the history section of the Wikipedia article :).

Kind redards,

Reece

Valdis Vitolins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESpeakNG#Synthesis_method sections including multimedia samples.

As English is not my native language, review will be very appreciated.

Valdis

abdelwaheb turki <turkiabdelwaheb@...>

Dear Sir,

I thank you for your answer. I will review that. However, please create http://espeakng.sourceforge.net so that it can be used.