Topics

mis spoken word

Travis Siegel

I noticed today when proofreading a document that espeak (I'm using the ivan voice) says wichita (which is a city in Kansas I believe) as if it ended in an r.

It says it as if it were spelled

witchitar.  I find this very strange, and interestingly enough, I've run across this kind of behavior before.  I don't know why it would do this, but if anyone has the capability to figure it out, it may lead to fixing several mispronunciations.

Valdis Vitolins

Pronunciation for Wichita is set explicitly in pronunciation file:

https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/dictsource/en_list#L
4451

Therefore (I assume), it is correct pronunciation for UK English.

What you think should be correct pronunciation for (I assume) US
English?

Valdis

I noticed today when proofreading a document that espeak (I'm using
the
ivan voice) says wichita (which is a city in Kansas I believe) as if
it
ended in an r.

It says it as if it were spelled

witchitar.  I find this very strange, and interestingly enough, I've
run
across this kind of behavior before.  I don't know why it would do
this,
but if anyone has the capability to figure it out, it may lead to
fixing
several mispronunciations.

Karl Eick

Fairly simple, use A: instead of a@

Karl
Am 05.03.2019 um 21:28 schrieb Valdis Vitolins via Groups.Io:

[...]

Yeah, that's the word alright, but I can't figure out how to read the pronunciation it's supposed to have.  If it helps, the word should be pronounced like witch then a short i as in iguana, then a ta ending like tah (same as utah).  Not sure why it would require a special entry in the dictionary, I don't know how to remove entries from the dictionary myself, or I'd try that and see how it pronounces it on its own, but sounding like an r is at the end of it certainly isn't correct.

On 3/5/2019 3:28 PM, Valdis Vitolins via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Removing it completely causes a different, wrong pronunciation
altogether. I suggest that little change I mentioned in my previous
mail. Currently the entry is made like this:

Wichita        wItSI#tA@

This should be changed to:

Wichita        wItSI#tA:
To make the US English voice pronounce it right.

Karl

Am 06.03.2019 um 00:04 schrieb Travis Siegel:

[...]

Reece H. Dunn

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 05:17 AM, Karl Eick wrote:
Hi,

Removing it completely causes a different, wrong pronunciation
altogether. I suggest that little change I mentioned in my previous
mail. Currently the entry is made like this:

Wichita        wItSI#tA@

This should be changed to:

Wichita        wItSI#tA:
To make the US English voice pronounce it right.
That's correct. 'A@' is used for START words (words typically spelled with 'ar'), while 'A:' is used for PALM words. These are documented at https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/docs/languages/gmw/en.md.

Kind regards,
Reece